On The Bench 293: John Klein’s Enterprise part 1

John Klein begins his build of the AMT Enterprise

jklein18ent01

I got my hands on an old edition of the venerable 18” Enterprise (no bloody A, B, C, or D); this is a re-release from the ‘90s put out by AMT/ERTL in 1/537 scale.

Which way to go?

There is always much debate regarding how accurate one wishes to make this model. The kit itself has some inherent problems, and then there are the weathered/unweathered, panel lines/no panel lines, light placement, bridge shape, restored/unrestored paint job debates… the list goes on. I chose to build mine to be accurate to what 8-year-old me gaped at on the television screen; also keeping it old school, I wanted to build this kit with a minimum of alterations. Sort of like what 8-year-old me built, only with the benefit of patience, experience, not tube glue, and an understanding of what modeling putty is for.

Basic Alterations

I wanted to keep the alterations to a minimum during this build, so I only corrected a few of the most glaring faults with the kit.

jklein18ent02

jklein18ent052

The biggest change was the removal of the raised panel lines and window detail. Whether they should be there or not, the raised panel lines on the saucer section are grossly out of scale so I sanded them off and rescribed concentric circles in their place.

jklein18ent04

jklein18ent05

I also filled the three dimples on the saucer bottom  and scribed the two triangular hatches found on the filming model.

jklein18ent041

jklein18ent06

jklein18ent051

I also removed the raised window detail, but before I did, I used applied frisket film over the windows and rubbed it down with the side of a pencil to create a template for the windows.

jklein18ent09

After adding a spacer between the upper and lower halves of the saucer to reduce flexing, I glued the halves together, puttied and sanded, and put it aside for painting. The main hull was treated in same manner as the saucer, prior to sanding off the raised window detail, I made a frisket template so I could repaint the windows later.

jklein18ent07

jklein18ent071

I also expoxied two magnets into the bottom of the hull which will be mated with a pair of magnets in a wooden base. Since I was already filling the bottom of the hull with epoxy, I also added some lead weights to the bottom front of the hull to get rid of the top heaviness of the finished model (the saucer outweighs the hull), and to move the center of mass forward so the model is better balanced on the base.

hanger-door-shim

jklein18ent14a

The hanger bay door at the back of hull seemed too short, so I shimmed the bottom with a piece of scrap styrene. This sub assembly was then glued, puttied and sanded.

jklein18ent11

jklein18ent12

jklein18ent13

On to the engines; the kit provides a detail part for the bottom front of the engine nacelles which is terribly inaccurate. The actual detail is clearly three separate squares, each separated by a small gap. The kit part is one piece with a suggestion of a gap. I separated the kit part into three pieces with a razor saw and installed them individually. The front cap for the nacelle has no registration tabs so I added a few scrap pieces to hold the cap in alignment during gluing. I’ve heard that the nacelle support arms can droop over time, so I poured resin into the hollow arms to strengthen them. After final puttying and sanding, the engines and arms were put aside for painting.

jklein18ent10

To Be Continued

Leave a Reply