Ward Shrake’s Dark Star part 1 appeared in On The Bench 221.
I’m sending two additional pics to go with the other ones I had sent in before.
Photo 7: An RTV rubber mold of the Bomb #20 rear panel. Before I cast this, I modified the back panel by cutting off the upper and lower “cap” portions of the other kit parts, so that I could make a clear or translucent casting with few seams to worry about, where all the important texture is. By doing this, the seams move to non-critical model areas.
Photo 8: Here is the same plaster mold seen in the other pics, except painted (a random color) with spray paint, to seal all of the plaster’s pores. I then used petroleum jelly to “wax” the mold halves, and spread Bondo auto body filler into each half; then put more, and joined the halves. This “Bondo casting” is very crude right now — I have not even cleaned it up, or touched up any defects yet — but when it gets further along, it will be a model I can recontour by adding more Bondo filler, and when it comes time, by taking a bench sander to it, to reshape it more correctly. When it matches my blueprints in outline, from various views; and I know the contours are also correct, then I’ll pull the new contour maps off of that 1/4 studio scale model, so I can draw them up in full Studio Scale, for my next blueprints.
Photo 9: Here’s one in-progress pic of the current state of the rear third of my thirty-six inch “studio scale” replica. This whole Dark Star thing has been eeking its way towards completion since early 2002: counting from the first time I built my first (1:4 Studio Scale) DS model using the “blueprints” found in 1970’s magazines and/or John Carpenter’s site. But I’ve learned a boatload during that time. My confidence levels are oodles and scads higher than they once were … not only on building stuff, but on drawing up plans *to* build stuff. It has me wanting to run out to the garage to scratch-build nearly every cool vehicle design I see in pictures!
To be continued…