On The Bench 288: Tom Hering’s Weirdo’s Daddy part 2

Continued from On The Bench: Weird-Ohs Daddy Part 1

 

therringdaddy12

“Figure 12” shows how the kit’s drag slicks were built up into larger, speed-deformed oval shapes using sheet styrene and epoxy putty. These bigger slicks are relatively lightweight because they were boxed in with sheet styrene before the putty work was done. New wheels were made of sheet styrene.

therringdaddy13

“Figure 13” shows how the step at the rear of the coffin car’s body was filled with sheet styrene, creating a single flat surface that will allow the taillight piece to be positioned higher. Two channels were created on the underside with square styrene rod. These are where clear acrylic stands will be inserted, rising up from a custom base. The hole for the mounting post provided in the kit has been filled. “Figure 14” shows how the mounting hole for Daddy’s body has been filled with sheet styrene, and reinforced from beneath with more sheet styrene, creating a better support for the altered bottom edge of Daddy’s body. The engine mounting holes have also been filled, allowing the engine to be positioned more toward the rear. One noticeable difference between the sculpt and the box art is the size of Daddy in relation to his coffin car. The Daddy figure in the sculpt is much bigger. So I decided to balance this out, visually, by making bigger fins for the coffin car (as well as bigger drag slicks).

therringdaddy15

“Figure 15” shows modifications to the frame and axles. Both frame rails have been drilled with lightening holes. The ends of the drive axle have been bent down so the drag slicks mount with a positive camber. The open end of the differential case has been closed using the kit’s martini glass, minus its stem, and a longer mounting post has been added. A steering arm made from steel rod has been added beneath the right frame rail. The front axle has been shortened, and the ends cut off and reattached at a down angle, creating positive camber for the front wheels (same as the drag slicks). A tie rod made from steel rod is inserted into pieces of sheet styrene that slip over the ends of the front axle.

therringdaddy16

“Figure 16” shows improvements to the kit engine. New velocity stacks made from 3/16” styrene tubing were slipped over the stock stacks. A new distributor made from 1/4” styrene tubing and sheet styrene was slipped over the stock distributor. Both the new distributor and the stock valve covers have been drilled for wiring. “Figure 17” shows a new set of exhaust pipes made from 3/16” styrene tubing and sheet styrene.

therringdaddy18

“Figure 18” shows the dollhouse miniature, clear plastic martini glass that replaces the kit’s white plastic glass.

 

All of the modifications ready for painting and final assembly. A custom base will be made that matches the custom base I made for my Huey’s Hut Rod project, and Daddy – like Huey – will be airborne.

Leave a Reply