Al Carroll’s Star Destroyer

Found this kit sitting on a shelf at a local antique store for about $4.00. After I brought it home, and inspected the typical AMT craftsmanship of the item, I began to work out in my head how I wanted to customize this particular model. Since this was my 4th AMT Star Destroyer I’ve built over the years, I wanted to try a yet another twist on creating it. The previous 3 succumbed to the many moves I’ve done over the years. Then I thought, why not just build this outta the box with a basic paint job.

After cutting the pieces off the trees and some preliminary sanding, the first primer coast went on. (No pics of the building process, I just got this digital camera…sorry). I used a rattle-can of off the shelf flat black to accomplish this. I then began the process of basic assembly of the main hull. Connecting the upper & lower hull halves was accomplished with the help of some two-part clear epoxy (24 hours to cure) and a few medium binder clips. Next, I took on the annoying and daunting task of correcting the misshapen & poor fitting pieces of the superstructure. Again, I wanted this to be pretty much out-of-the-box, so green putty was used to fill the many gaps throughout the fittings. By applying the putty from the inside, this mostly negated the obligation of sanding from the outside. Once that was done, and 98% of the model assembled, (sans engines & thrusters) another primer coat of flat black was applied.

Once dried, I sprayed specific areas of the model with light sea gray…allowed to dry, then cut some tape off into random square-like shapes and placed them onto the now dry gray regions. Now came the primary color-coat. I used flat light ghost gray & sprayed the mostly assembled model with it. Letting it dry for the better part of a day, I then removed the taped-off part of the model, exposing the darker sea-gray portions. Then, taking a clean piece of cotton cloth with a small amount of thinner applied, using little pressure, I rubbed the light sea gray areas in small circular motions, being careful not to come in contact with the surround ghost gray. The idea was to bring out the raised plating within that area with the black below it & exposing it. The effect looks as though there is indeed individually placed hull plates. The attempt was to create a look that was a near pristine or new vessel but for some reason was repaired “in the field” just to get the ship going again after some sort of battle. Battle damage to some degree…but I was trying to go for a more isolated look that may have been attributed to some natural event as well.

All the engines & thruster exteriors were painted with navy gray. The interior if the main engines were given a small blast of flat black then starting from the interior base, high gloss light blue with some gloss white highlights on the edges. The idea was to create the illusion of light & shadow within the engine housings..

Some blue, white and very few yellow was used for the windows and painted randomly around the ship.

A flat clear coat was sprayed on all surfaces & allowed to dry. To maintain the gloss of the engines, they were sprayed independently, then assembled & attached.

Overall, the model came out very well for what it took to build, although not accurate. Most of the time spent was allowing the parts to dry from multiple coats and the epoxy.

Al Carroll

Leave a Reply