In painting I used the box and a book titled Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy as guides. Some of the panels on the hull were painted Dark Aircraft Gray, Gray, and Flat Red. After masking them off, the rest of the hull was painted Camouflage Gray. The six solar panels were painted dark gray and the two small vents on the three-sided stru6tures were painted black. The landing gear were left white and touched up with silver.
Using a very risky trick, I added the blast scar seen on the front of the ship. I heated the inside of the hull with a candle, then dented the hull with the end of a paint brush. After it cooled I scored the dent with a heated wire.
The hull was dirtied up by using two techniques. It was first streaked with powdered black and gray chalk using a Q-tip. I started around the top turret hole and worked my way out towards the edge of the hull. The turret itself was just generally smudged up. Don’t overdo the chalk you want a model that looks weatherbeaten, not like something that has been dragged through a swamp. On the bottom hull the streaks go in the opposite direction. The blast scar was dabbed heavily with black using the end of the Q -tip, sort of like stippling. The streaks on the companionways went down from the upper axis. A little gray and brown chalk was sprinkled on the solar panels and patted down with a fingertip. Being careful not to smudge the chalk, the entire ship was sprayed with Testors Dullcote. The neat thing about Dull-cote is that it doesn’t clean easily with regular paint thinner. Using the photographs as a guide, I placed a few small dots of black paint on the hull with a small tip brush. I brushed over them with a heavier brush dipped in thinner thus creating a few darker streaks. The same thing was done with rust paint. Parts 15-27 were painted Aircraft Gray and cemented in place. I then decided that they were too dark so they were given a heavy wash of Camouflage Gray. The frames on the turret windows were painted Camouflage Gray and cemented in place. The clear engine panels and the small window (part 2 of the clear parts) were added.
By the time I got around to it, the paper rear panel reflector was all smudged up with chalk. (At times I can be a bit sloppy.) So I replaced it with a piece of white poster board, using the paper one as a pattern. Instead of punching the two small holes in the lower section, a 3/4-inch square was cut in the rear to align with the hole in the battery box.
On to page 3