This is my Polar Lights Jupiter 2. I was planning on doing a quick build originally, but after finding the Hobby Talk web site and seeing aLL of the Jupiter 2 models that were built with extensive detail, well, I had to do the same or at least try. At the time my modeling skills were average and I had not built a model for several years. This was going to be a challenge. It took me 3 years to “GET ER DONE ” I wanted my Jupiter 2 to at least look half as good as the ones I saw on the CultTVman web site.
I used Bob Peroviches paint scheme for the exact colors used in the Jupiter 2. It called for a lot of acrylic paint which i had Never used before and that in itself was an education and learning experience. I also used the WONDERFUL Jupiter 2 decals from Jim James, and the Skyhook replacement pilot seats, and the Dewey Howard light circuits for the fusion core and top bubble. I built both decks and I also cut out the fusion core, side porthole, and lower viewport to be able to see the lower deck details. The Interior painting was a real challenge with very tiny details. The upper deck floor circle was done and redone 11 times until I had the absolute correct diameter. (I got very good at stripping paint with Castrol Super Clean.)
I want to thank Steve Payne aka Steve 244 for ALL of the help and tips he has provided me in this build, along with Bob Perovich, Jim James, Bob Nitsche, Jim Piszar, all who had the knowledge and patience to help me make my Jupiter 2 a model that I am very proud of and THANK YOU RON GROSS AND POLAR LIGHTS FOR BRINGING US THE JUPITER 2.
I started by cutting out the porthole by the main hatch, cutting the elevator cage to the correct shape as seen on the show, The stasis walls were a real challenge with the very small details in the silver framing. The bench seats were all wrong and I just had to have the Skyhook replacement pilot seats, I began by cutting away the bench seats and puttying the holes after placing styrene strips under the upper deck to cover the holes then filling in with putty. The floor circle was difficult to get just right, but I finally found a tupperware bowl just the right size. Jim Jame’s decals sure made a difference in details on both decks, I never could have duplicated that kind of detail with paint.
Part 2 has more!