This was my first tackle with fluorescent lights. I started out with the long process of punching open the windows (I didn’t count but there are A LOT of ‘em) using a little screwdriver and a hammer.
I used acrylic aerosol paint in different layer combinations until I was satisfied with the color tones. Then I sealed the windows using ordinary PVC glue. The interior was covered with black and then a white layer for a more uniform distribution of light.
Installing the lighting was a challenge since I did the mistake and used all 16 wires the same colour (doh!) and I burned a few circuits in the process. I used small (about 1 1/2 Inch) fluorescent lights I took apart from some cheap night-light (the ones with all the spelling mistakes on the back). and installed 4 in total – in the saucer, secondary hull, and one in each nacelle. It fits in this small model due to the special dimensions of the lights.
The model is mounted on a copper pipe painted black and on a (empty) tuna can, where the circuitry is stored.
Total buildup time: Approx 3 Weeks